Friday, July 8, 2022

Montreal - our official Day 1

 The problem with going hard each day is that there is not enough energy left to blog about all the marvelous adventures we are having. My sister, bless her heart, has been writing daily synopses of our activities so at least I have a “go by”.


Although we have not spent very much time in Toronto we did see some amazing architecture. I think I will see more before I go home.




My niece dropped us off at the train station so we could catch our train to Montreal. It was a 3 1/2 hour ride, not very comfortable though.



When we left our train we thought we would just walk the “20 minutes” to our B&B. We had not factored in the hills, and bumpy sidewalks not to mention our heavy 32 and 39 pound suitcases! By the time we got to our lodgings we were EXHAUSTED!!! But we did see some fun stuff along the way.


We found Maison Saint-Vincent after a grueling walk. The two rolling suitcases and two back packs almost did us in. And our room was at the top of the 3rd floor with no elevator. Just walking up the steep stairs was about too much. Pretty sad when you ask for help with your luggage and a tiny Filipino woman comes to carry it up!!! Embarrassing.



The car rental company had called my sister to tell her that the office would not be open on July 1 since it was Canada Day and that if we still wanted the car we would have to get it that day [30th]. So, after we rested a bit we took the bus to Enterprise and got our keys. But there is no parking at Maison Saint-Pierre so we had to leave the car in the lot and take the bus back to our lodging. Along the way we got off the bus early to see what was happening. Turned out it was an International Jazz Festival in Montreal! Wish we had known before but instead we just enjoyed the festive atmosphere.  I tried Poutine which was pretty good and we got free bottles of water.






Our room was delightful - except for the stairs!  It was spacious and well appointed even down to our own slippers and bathrobes. We spent the evening  walking around the square in Old Montreal, eventually finding our way to a cute sidewalk restaurant where we shared a Smoked Meat sandwich and chips.



Looking down from our room to where the bottles were clanging at 5 AM and 7 AM!
   


Random side street.




Loved the addition of flowers on the stair way!



Our good sleep was interrupted by the sound of many bottles being recycled so we got up and ready for the day. We found some over priced breakfast sandwiches. While my sister took the bus to get our car I walked around the square again and found I really liked some of the photos from this man. He took great photos and then painted the color details. So, of course I bought a lovely picture of  spiral staircase with flowers which I will hang in my home.


With help I was able to get our luggage downstairs in time for Sue to arrive with our car. And then we were off to Quebec City. Only one day in Montreal was not enough to see very much. But we did get exposure to French. I found my smatterings  of French, German, Danish and Spanish all warring in my head as I tried to remember to say the correct words :)










No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER!!!! TRYING TO GET BACK AFTER A 10 MONTH HIATUS

 It has been about 10 months since I last posted. I just have not been able to force myself to write so I haven't - even though many thi...