Monday, June 27, 2022

Greeting cards, Cancelations and delayed flights

 A few days before my much anticipated trip to Canada, I had an unexpected reaction to a row of greeting cards. I was looking to see if I could find a nice birthday card for a friend.  I felt such a sense of loss being reminded of the many cards Steve gave me over the years. Birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day always brought a special card or greeting. Sometimes he wrote his own notes and tried his hand at some cute  artwork. Sometimes he bought cards. But in every case the sentiment was real and touching. All of a sudden it became overwhelming to look at that row of greeting cards!.  I just had to walk away and my friend will not receive a card on her  birthday.

Many months ago I booked a non-stop flight from Salt Lake City to Toronto. You can imagine my distress when I woke the day before departure to an email informing me my flight had been cancelled! A week earlier the departure time had been changed which was fine but now I had to rebook my flight. 

I was worried about even getting a flight - my immediate thought was of all the plans for our 6 weeks adventure and wondered if I could get there so they would happen. So I took the first option which necessitated a 5 1/2 hour layover in Minneapolis. Since then the departure time was changed twice. 

Departure  day brought it’s own challenges. So grateful for my kind friend who drove me to the airport early. I had to be there 3 hours prior to departure since the system would not allow me to check in.  Thankfully the line was short, but I still spent over 20 minutes speaking with not one, not two but with three agents who all tried to figure out why I could not check in. They finally determined that my non-stop return flight in August had also been cancelled. So, again I had to accept a segmented flight with a layover in Minneapolis. Once that was reserved a boarding pass was printed.

I have to express appreciation for the Delta Sky Clubs. I spent time in Salt Lake as well as Minneapolis safely ensconced in a club with plenty of food and privacy at my disposal. I arrived in Toronto none the worse for wear although my stress level was pretty high. Good to be here and see my sister and to know that our planned adventures were still on the table.

Yesterday I received  an email telling me that I would be compensated for my inconvenience.  Not sure what that means but we will see.

Yesterday and today we have worked on last minute details, printing the itinerary and working on exactly what we will bring. I may have overpacked!  My 42 pound suitcase might be a bit heavy to haul up 3 flights of stairs where there is no elevator 😏

Tomorrow we will go to see Niagara Falls. From the time I was in elementary school and all the girls talked about a honeymoon at Niagara Falls I had wanted to go. Hopefully I can get some good photos.

Another day for last minute details then Thursday we are off on the train to Montreal. I find myself feeling very tired and realize that I am finally letting down. I have held myself  in check for so long. I’m sure there will be tears along the way as I allow myself to let down  and also to enjoy the beauties of nature.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER!!!! TRYING TO GET BACK AFTER A 10 MONTH HIATUS

 It has been about 10 months since I last posted. I just have not been able to force myself to write so I haven't - even though many thi...