Saturday, December 31, 2022

HELLO 2023...WHAT DO YOU HAVE WAITING FOR ME?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!

January 1 has always been my favorite day of the year. It has always represented a clean slate - a new start - new opportunities.

But this year things are a little murky, well not exactly murky but less straight forward. I have discovered that recovery from this surgery involves more pain than I had expected.  I have learned that I do not feel very motivated when I am in pain. My days are not filled with exciting thoughts of refining plans or goals or new resolutions. Instead I find them filled with a lot of light reading and mindless movies just trying to hold on.  I am a little disappointed in myself and have become even more impressed with people who live with chronic pain and still remain productive and cheerful. I hope I can soon pass through the pain and be able to move forward.

I did discover the TV series The Chosen and have 'binge watched' the first 2 seasons and now wait for the weekly installments of season 3. Somehow the writers and the actors have done a remarkable job of bringing the reality of the Savior and His mission to the forefront. I am grateful to be watching it as I feel more mindful of the Savior.

The holidays passed quietly with a sense of peace and contentment.  My children made sure I was not alone on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and days before and after. I am grateful for my family. They are a huge blessing in my life. I am also grateful for caring friends. It is nice to be remembered and to know that people care about me.

I am still wearing a back brace and am not supposed to bend, twist or lift anything over 10 pounds for 3 months. Doctor also said no laundry, no vacuuming and no loading or unloading the dishwasher for 3 months. It is hard to remember not to pick things up. But I have a 'grabber' which extends my arms a couple of feet and allows me to 'pick things up'. But I still need to ask for help with some of the basics.

Our family had a game night planned at the clubhouse in my neighborhood. But about 1 hour before it was to begin our neighborhood  power went out. So we had to cancel our game night. It was a disappointment but all is well. One of my sons immediately drove up to care for me until the power was restored and I realized in all of my organizing I had not prepared for power outages. Now I have some nice little lanterns that he brought. Hopefully I will not have to use them often.

I missed taking a picture of some beautiful  snow we had. For a week or more my patio was filled with about 14". It was beautiful and pristine the way it hung on the patio furniture.   I miss it now that most is melted. I hope we get more.

It is hard to believe that it has now been 1 1/2 years since Steve died. In many respects it seems like it has been forever not just 18 months. As I have been reading in his journals from the 1980's I have been struck by the many sacrifices he made for me and our family. I am grateful for him and the privilege of our life together. I miss his healing hugs and his soothing foot rubs. He was not a perfect man but he was a good man who loved me, our family and the Lord.

As my life moves forward I find I am much more laid back. I am learning that lower expectations bring less disappointments. Being grateful for many little things strengthens me and eliminates feelings of sadness that I might have experienced in the past if plans did not work out.

There are many plans in place for 2023. I hope I will feel well enough to take the trips and spend  time with my family. I hope I can have a clear enough mind to organize my family history materials and write the stories that need to be written.  More and more I recognize my own mortality  and hope I can fill my remaining time on this earth with experiences that will strengthen my posterity.

May you all be richly blessed in this New Year!


Amaryllis are one of the joys of the Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER!!!! TRYING TO GET BACK AFTER A 10 MONTH HIATUS

 It has been about 10 months since I last posted. I just have not been able to force myself to write so I haven't - even though many thi...